Use of Communal Areas
What are communal areas?
Communal areas are open areas that are not under the management of any University Department/Office. They mainly include:
- Atrium (Divided into Areas A, B and C for promotional counters & small scale exhibition)
- Academic Concourse (Divided into Areas outside Lecture Theatre A, B, C, D & E for promotional counters, large scale exhibition, mega sale & tea reception)
- Amphitheatre (for performance, gathering)
- Amphitheatre near UG Hall VI (for performance, gathering)
Who can use communal areas?
Both University Departments/Offices and Student Societies can use communal areas for holding various activities, e.g. putting up banners and setting up promotional counters.
What is the role of CMO?
CMO is responsible for managing these spaces to prevent double booking and assessing the suitability of the space for the proposed activities.
How to book communal areas?
For University Departments/Offices:
Booking for departmental functions should be submitted more than 8 weeks in advance so that necessary arrangements can be made before students' bookings.
For Student Societies:
- Applicants should submit booking application with a detailed activity proposal to DSTO (SSA) Team well in advance of their planned event for endorsement.
- Booking is on a weekly basis starting from Sunday to Saturday.
- It can be made maximum 8 weeks in advance.
- Applicants who want to have priorities in booking communal areas should submit applications before 12:00 noon on the first working day of each week.
- All applications will be handled on an equal basis and lucky draw will be used to decide the user if there are competing applications.
- Notice of the result will be posted on CMO website after 3:00 p.m. on that day.
General Rules & Regulations:
- The booked venue will only be used for the designated event/activity as recorded in the application.
- Applicants/users shall be responsible for the setting up and removal of banners and/or promotional counters.
- Applicants/users should inform CMO of any changes at least 5 calendar days before the booked date.
- Justification is required for cancellation of bookings.
- Applicants/users shall not make, publish, display or disseminate event related publicity materials that contain false, biased, misleading or deceptive information. Contents related to profane or insulting messages, discrimination, promotion of violence and hatred will be reviewed and removed promptly by CMO.
- On the basis of the nature of use/activity, CMO may stipulate a maximum user capacity of the booked venue on the ground of public health, safety and management consideration.
- Applicants/users should comply with the sound level restrictions in Atrium as follows:
i. During the period from 12:45 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., sound level must be held at an average of 79 dB and a maximum peak level of 85 dB.
ii. During other periods of the day, sound level must be held to 70 dB and a maximum level of 76 dB.
iii. Performances (with amplifiers or bands, etc.) must be limited to the hours of 12:45 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., unless exceptions are granted by CMO for special occasions.
- Those who misuse the communal areas will be penalized with their right to book communal areas being suspended for 8 weeks.
- CMO may refuse any person from using the venue if he/she does not observe the rules as stipulated or remove any person from the venue if he/she is in breach of the rules.
- CMO reserves the right to reject/cancel the booking without giving prior notice to the applicant and also to restrict the number of users and/or spectators entering the venue or to refuse entry of any person upon health ground or any other reason and/or impose further conditions for use of the venue.
- Important Notes for Student Activities
For enquires, please call 2358 6443 during office hours.